Why Do I Need It?
CGU offers you complete peace of mind knowing that not only is your car covered for accidental damage cause by a collision or crash, but you’re also covered for up to $30 million, for any damage to another person’s vehicle and property—this is a $10 million more generous cover than their competitors.
We know that it’s not just your car that gets damaged in an accident, it can be everything in your car as well, personal items and even car seats. No need to worry. CGU has you covered for that as well, which is another edge it has over most of our competitors.
Towing a trailer or needing a tow to the nearest repairer? That’s OK. That’s covered too. CGU thinks of everything so you don’t have to.
When Can I Claim?
- Accidental damage – Collision or crash
- Theft or attempted theft, malicious damage or vandalism
- Environmental damage – Storm, fire, storm, flood, cyclone
What Can I Claim?
- Baby capsules or child seats
- CGU understands that it’s not just the outside of the car that can be damaged in an accident. Sometimes important or expensive baby capsules or car seats cop a whacking as well. Or they may be stolen. That’s fine. CGU covers replacement cost.
- New for old replacement
- If your new car is a write-off, CGU may replace it with a brand new one, if it is less than two years old and has travelled less than 30,000 kms or less than three years old and travelled less than 50,000 kms.
- Damage to another person’s vehicle and property (up to $30 million)
- Looking for total peace of mind? Up to $30 million is allocated to cover the damage to another person’s vehicle and property.
- Emergency transport or accommodation
- If you are more than 100kms from home and your car is not roadworthy, CGU covers your cost of transport home or temporary accommodation for one night up to $500.
- Emergency repairs to get you home or to a repairer (up to $500)
- If you are unable to drive your car after an accident, CGU covers the cost of emergency or temporary repairs up to $500 per incident so that it can be driven or used again.
- Funeral expenses
- If the driver of your vehicle dies as a result of the collision, CGU will pay the driver’s estate up to $5,000 towards any funeral costs.
- No claim bonus
- You are allowed one at-fault claim without it affecting your No Claim Bonus if you are eligible and have held your driver’s licence for eight years or more, and not had any at-fault incidents in the last two years.
- Legal costs for a coronial inquiry
- If you, a nominated driver or authorised driver require legal representation before a coroner, CGU covers the legal costs up to $5,000.
- Personal items damaged or stolen from the vehicle
- If any personal items are damaged in an accident, or stolen from your locked car, CGU covers up to $500 to repair or replace them.
- Helmets or protective clothing (motorcycles only)
- If your helmet or protective clothing is stolen from your motorcycle or damaged in an incident, CGU will pay for the cost to replace them up to $250.
- Severe weather damage
- You are covered for fire, flood or storm damage
- Repair or replacement of a towed vehicle (up to $1,000)
- If a trailer is stolen or damaged while attached to your vehicle, CGU pays up to $1,000 to repair or replace it.
- Towing services
- If your vehicle is damaged in an incident and cannot be driven or used, CGU will tow it from the scene of the incident to a safe place, the nearest repairer or another other agreed place.
- Removal of debris
- If your vehicle is damaged, we will cover the reasonable costs to remove the vehicle debris from the site it occurred.
- Key locks and barrels – replace and re-code
- If the keys to our vehicle are stolen, CGU covers the cost to repair and re-code your locks and barrels up to $1,000.
- Storage costs
- If your vehicle is put into storage while we settle your claim, CGU will cover the reasonable storage costs.
- Uninsured damage
- If you are involved in an incident with an uninsured driver, and you are not at fault, CGU covers the cost of repairing and towing your vehicle up to $5,000.
For theft or attempted theft…
- Car hire costs up to a total of 14 days
- If your car is stolen or it is unsafe to drive as a result of a theft or attempted theft, CGU pays the cost of a hire car, from the time of the theft or attempted theft, until everything is back to normal—your car is recovered and repaired, your claim is settled if your car is a total loss—or for 14 days, whichever is shorter.
What Else Can I Cover Myself For?
You can add the following options to increase your peace of mind.
- You can make one claim for your windscreen, sunroof or window repair or replacement, if there is no other damage, without paying the basic excess
- One at-fault claim protection
- If you add this option CGU will protect your No Claim Bonus for one at-fault claim during the period of your insurance.
- All at-fault claims protection
- If you add this option, CGU will protect your No Claim Bonus for all at-fault claims during your period of insurance.
Why Is CGU Different?
Others charge you for this stuff. CGU doesn’t.
- Support pay-by-the-month, fortnight or annually for no extra cost
- Choose to pay your insurance premiums monthly, fortnightly or even yearly by instalments from your bank account, credit car or debit card, and CGU don’t charge a cent more.
- Trailer cover
- Trailers can take some hard knocks. If yours is damaged while attached to your insured vehicle, CGU will pay up to $1,000 to repair or replace it.
- CGU won’t touch your No Claim Bonus when you make your first at-fault claim
Looking for total peace of mind? Find it with CGU’s extensive liability cover.